If you’ve ever played golf, you know how important it is to hit the sweet spot on the club face. This article will serve the same purpose for your DFS lineups every week as we’ll dive into the plays and try to find “the sweet spot” in each level of pricing to help your tournament lineups bring home bags of cash.
The Honda Classic
DraftKings & FanDuel Contests this week
- DraftKings (DK) PGA TOUR $300K Club Twirl: 150 multi-entry (MME) GPP – $44 entry; $50,000 to 1st, $25,000 to 2nd, $1,000 to 11th – 15th; min cash $70 (less than 2x)
- (DK) PGA TOUR $555K Drive the Green: 150 max entry – $5 entry; $100,000 to 1st, $40,000 to 2nd, $1,000 to 16th – 20th; min cash $8 (less than 2x)
- (DK) PGA TOUR $125K Driver: Single Entry – $200 entry; $25,000 to 1st, $15,000 to 2nd, $1,000 to 9th & 10th; min cash $400 (2x!!)
- Satellites. If your bankroll isn’t big enough to support playing $50+ GPPs, I’d recommend hitting as many satellites as you can to try to get into those big boy contests on both sites.
- DK limited max entry contests: Originally, I used to love the single-entry contests in golf, but with so much variance and being a GPP only player who typically doesn’t enjoy making hundreds of lineups by hand, this is my favorite way of getting more exposure to other good players while also getting some decent returns on good lineups.
- FanDuel (FD) $100K PGA Eagle – $9 entry, 150 entry max. $20,000 to 1st, $7,500 to 2nd, $1,000 to 5th; min cash $18 (2x!!)
This week’s expected chalk (DraftKings / FanDuel)
- Billy Horschel $9,200 DK / $10,900 FD
- Daniel Berger $8,900 DK / $10,600 FD
- Rickie Fowler $10,800 DK / $11,700 FD
- Sungjae Im $9,300 DK /$10,700 FD
- Gary Woodland $10,300 DK /$11,300 FD
Top 5 Highest Ownership Projections: Looking for the full list? Click here
This week’s low owned plays (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Top 5 Lowest Ownership Projections (players you should actually consider under 12% owned)
- Louis Oosthuizen $9,700 DK / $11,200 FD
- Ian Poulter $8,500 DK / $9,800 FD
- Harry Higgs $7,300 DK / $8,900 FD
- KH Lee $7,000 DK / $8,500 FD
- Jim Furyk $7,100 DK / $8,700 FD
The Honda Classic: The Golfers
For this section, I’ll list my favorite players at different price points to consider for tournaments (GPP’s).
$11,000+ (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Tommy Fleetwood $11,600 DK / $11,800 FD: He’s Tommy, I’m invested at this stage of his career and he’s basically the European Tour version of Matt Kuchar. He seems to always find a way to sneak into the Top 10 and on difficult courses I’m going to ride with the Euros.
$10,900-$9,000 (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Gary Woodland $10,300 DK / $11,300 FD: Plays less than driver courses well, which is good because it takes the wayward driver out of his hands. He’s good at scoring and avoiding blowups so I’m ok with rolling him out this week.
Justin Rose $9,900 DK / $11,400 FD: He’s a classy player whose underpriced in my opinion because of a rough start to his season. He’s also the type of player to find something while practicing and light an event on fire, seemingly out of nowhere.
Sungjae Im $9,300 DK / $10,700 FD: Didn’t live up to my expectations last week, but I feel like we’re being handed a gift with this price in this field. He’s so good from tee to green and has popped a few times on the greens that we’d be dumb not to target him.
Shane Lowry $9,100 DK / $10,400 FD: Good wind player, Euro who can absolutely blaze a golf course. He ranks high in DK points for Par 70 courses, is upper-middle of the pack in ball striking metrics and lower-middle of the pack in putting & scrambling. Seems like an ideal GPP play this week where people will be glossing over this range of the pricing especially when people look at his subpar course history (49th & 53rd).
$8,900-$7,400 (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Corey Conners $8,200 DK / $9,900 FD: Elite from tee to green but struggles to scramble. He’s a better putter on bermuda greens and provides us with a good floor of Top 25 security as he just recently had a four straight Top 25 streak during the west coast swing.
Harris English $7,800 DK / $9,800 FD: Bomber who should be able to club down and keep his ball in play this week. His putter has been pretty good this year so he’s one of those rare cases where we’re targeting a good putter.
Russell Knox $7,600 DK / $9,400 FD: Pure class ball striker who can’t putt, ever. That being said, if he can find some rhythm with the putter, he’ll jump up the leaderboard and surprise a bunch of us. He’s a Scot, so we know he has some experience playing in windy conditions as well.
Keegan Bradley $7,400 DK / $9,200 FD: Strong player on difficult courses over the years, his ball striking won’t get him in trouble around here which is a good thing because his putter gives him all the trouble he needs.
< $7,300 (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Harry Higgs $7,300 DK / $8,900 FD: Three straight Top 25 finishes and was a runner-up on bermuda greens earlier this season. Strong off the tee and with the putter, he offers a ton of value at this price and allows us to get some of the more consistent players into our lineups.
Lucas Glover $7,200 DK / $9,100 FD: Florida resident, strong history (4th – 17th – 21st), typically a good ball striker but lost 6 strokes on approaches last week and 3.2 on the greens. Funny stat about Glover is that he hasn’t lost strokes putting in back to back events since The Players (MC) & Valspar (13th). His putting ability seems to only limit his upside rather than his cut making ability. He’s our #1 value on DK and #3 on FD when comparing his prices to his Sportsbook betting odds.
Jim Furyk $7,100 DK / $8,700 FD: This might shock you, but he’s gained the 3rd most strokes on difficult Par 70’s over his last 50 rounds and is 1st in SG: T2G for that criteria. The only knock on him is his OTT game, but this isn’t a course where that’s a major stat to target so I’m rolling with him at this price. His 9th place finish last year certainly bumped his stats.
KH Lee $7,000 DK / $8,500 FD: 7th last year, 8th in 2015 are definitely small samples, but he’s a good ball striker (has gained strokes in three of six events this year and can get hot with the putter, as we saw at the Genesis where he gained over 8 strokes on the greens. During the limited events in his career, he’s been a better putter on bermuda than any other surface.
Below are the 6 best values when comparing DK & FD to Sportsbook Odds
- Lucas Glover $7,200 DK
- Chris Kirk $6,000 DK
- Si Woo Kim $6,400 DK
- Brandon Hagy $7,000 FD
- Jhonattan Vegas $9,100 FD
- Lucas Glover $9,100 FD
Last week’s hot takes (WGC Mexico)
- Top 10’s: Xander Schauffele, Tommy Fleetwood, Paul Casey
- Top 5’s: Adam Scott, Bryson Dechambeau (2nd)
- Winner: Dustin Johnson (T48)
This week’s hot takes
- Top 10’s: Lucas Glover, Corey Conners, Gary Woodland
- Top 5’s: Sungjae Im, Shane Lowry
- Winner: Justin Rose