If you’ve ever played golf, you know how important it is to hit the sweet spot on the clubface. This article will serve the same purpose for your lineups every week as a DFS tournament review. We’ll dive into the plays and try to find “the sweet spot” in each level of pricing to help your tournament lineups bring home bags of cash.
DraftKings & FanDuel Contests This Week
- DraftKings (DK) PGA TOUR $500K Drive the Green: 150 multi-entry (MME) GPP – $5 entry; $100,000 to 1st, $40,000 to 2nd, $1,000 to 11th – 15th; min cash $8
- (DK) PGA TOUR $300K Club Twirl: 150 max entry – $44 entry; $50,000 to 1st, $25,000 to 2nd, $1,000 to 11th – 15th; min cash $70
- (DK) PGA TOUR $30K Dogleg: Single Entry – $33 entry; $5,000 to 1st, $3,500 to 2nd, $1,000 to 5th; min cash $50
- Satellites. If your bankroll isn’t big enough to support playing $50+ GPPs, I’d recommend hitting as many satellites as you can to try to get into those big boy contests on both sites.
- DK limited max entry contests: Originally, I used to love the single-entry contests in golf, but with so much variance and being a GPP only player who typically doesn’t enjoy making hundreds of lineups by hand, this is my favorite way of getting more exposure to other good players while also getting some decent returns on good lineups.
- FanDuel (FD) $150K PGA Eagle – $9 entry, 150 entry max. $30,000 to 1st, $12,000 to 2nd, $1,000 to 6th; min cash $18
This Week’s Expected Chalk (DraftKings / FanDuel)
- Justin Thomas $11,000 DK / $12,000 FD
- Dustin Johnson $10,000 DK / $11,800 FD
- Adam Scott $9,000 DK / $10,800 FD
- Justin Rose $8,500 DK /$10,700 FD
- Tony Finau $9,100 DK /$11,100 FD
Top 5 Highest Ownership Projections: Looking for the full list? Click here
This Week’s Low Owned Plays (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Top 5 Lowest Ownership Projections (players you should actually consider under 12% owned)
- Charles Howell III $7,500 DK / $11,000 FD
- Abraham Ancer $8,200 DK / $9,800 FD
- Ryan Moore $7,600 DK / $9,400 FD
- Corey Conners $7,000 DK / $9,100 FD
- Keegan Bradley $7,300 DK / $9,000 FD
Genesis Invitational: The Golfers
For this section, I’ll list my favorite players at different price points to consider for tournaments (GPPs).
$11,000+ (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Jon Rahm $11,200 DK / $11,900 FD: There’s decent ownership gap between JT & Rahm and a much smaller one between Rory & Rahm, so I’ll take the guy whose had one slip-up in his last 6 months of play at lower ownership. Rahm is basically the same player as those other two from a statistical profile, so the move is to take the lower owned player in GPPs.
$10,900-$9,000 (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Dustin Johnson $10,000 DK / $11,800 FD: He’s DJ, last week’s result shouldn’t affect this week’s decision to play him as he’s had some pretty terrible finishes at Pebble in the past and has been able to bounce back the following week at this event.
Bubba Watson $9,600 DK / $11,200 FD: Winner here in the last three “even numbered” years (yes, this year is also an even numbered year). He’s been playing great thus far, so I see no reason not to include him in our player pools for all formats, especially at this price where people will be a bit hesitant to play him over Cantlay, Schauffele or Finau.
Xander Schauffele $9,200 DK / $11,300 FD: I expect Brooks to carry more ownership than what’s being projected considering his price, so I’m pivoting away from him to Xander as a core play. Sure, he seems to be more of a contender in no cut/WGC events, but he’s still a solid ball striker with high scoring upside and I think his track record at this event confirms that having finished 15th – 9th in his only appearances.
Tony Finau $9,100 DK / $11,100 FD: I assume everyone will be on him this week following the out of nowhere display at the WMPO (where he lost in a playoff to Webb Simpson). His tee to green game has been lights out this season and he’s close to putting it all together. He’s also on the betting card for me this week.
$8,900-$8,000 (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Patrick Reed $8,600 DK / $10,600 FD: 16th in our model this week, his only weakness appears to be approaches from over 200 yards, which is a bit concerning, but the ownership break, price and overall skillset outweighs the one knock on his game.
Abraham Ancer $8,200 DK / $9,800 FD: 44th & 68th in two appearances here, which isn’t great by any means, but he has improved every time he’s shown up. He comes in off 6th & 2nd place finishes (one Euro Tour event & AMEX). His ball striking and driving seems ideal for this course and we know how hot he can get with the putter.
Collin Morikawa $8,100 DK / $10,100 FD: Remember this guy? He’s started the year with back-to-back Top 25’s and brings a solid tee to green game with him to California. He has yet to be “scared” of bigger fields, so I’m going to him in GPPs this week as I expect he gets left behind in the ownership category considering all the other options to choose from.
Sungjae Im $8,000 DK / $9,900 FD: Probably the lowest I’ve seen his projected ownership since he first started playing on the PGA Tour. The ironman has all the tools to get it done week in and week out and has shown that consistently throughout his career.
< $7,900 (DraftKings / FanDuel)
Keegan Bradley $7,300 DK / $9,000 FD: I know what you’re thinking but hear me out. Over his last 36 rounds on all of our corollary courses (excluding Augusta), he ranks 6th in the field in strokes gained tee to green, 4th in ball striking, 3rd in approach and 11th in DK points. The kicker here is his putting, he’s not even the worst player during that span with the flat stick which means if he can NOT LOSE strokes on the greens, he’s going to pay off for us.
Joaquin Niemann $7,300 DK / $9,400 FD: Ridiculous price on the phenom with the off the tee game to get around this track pretty well. He’s a great Par 4 scorer and can get hot with the putter. He’ll be much lower owned than usual because of the strength of this field and we’re getting him at a very low cost.
Erik Van Rooyen $7,000 DK / $8,800 FD: Euro Tour star (and University of Minnesota alum) whose ball striking is very good. He’s great on approaches over 200 yards (which is important here) and has a solid tee to green game. The putter holds him back, but he’s worth the flier at this price and expected ownership.
Corey Conners $7,000 DK / $9,100 FD: He’s got a great tee to green game, which should benefit him this week. His form isn’t eye popping, so I don’t think he’ll be owned at his typical high rate and he just watched his fellow countryman win at Pebble. That’s mostly narrative, but seeing your peers win definitely restores confidence in your own abilities.
Below are the six best values when comparing DK & FD to Sportsbook Odds
- Corey Conners $7,000 DK
- Vaughn Taylor $6,600 DK
- JT Poston $6,900 DK
- Luke List $7,700 FD
- Harold Varner III $7,200 FD
- Cameron Tringale $7,700 FD
Last Week’s Hot Takes (Pebble Beach)
- Top 10’s: Jimmy Walker (MC), Matt Kuchar (T38), Patrick Rodgers (MC)
- Top 5’s: Dustin Johnson (T32), Jason Day (T4)
- Winner: Paul Casey (T64)
This Week’s Hot Takes
- Top 10’s: Corey Conners, Keegan Bradley, Joaquin Niemann
- Top 5’s: Tony Finau, Jon Rahm
- Dustin Johnson