Avoid groupthink and build PGA DFS cash lineups with a different strategy in mind based on hours of @friedeggpaulie’s research and his deep knowledge of the players and professional golf!!
What can you expect from this PGA DFS article every week?
- I focus solely on DraftKings’ main slate, as that is where most of the play resides and also where the biggest edge lies. I will be providing the top cash game plays by salary tier. You can mix and match these players to build your cash lineups.
Strategy for the Week for Cash:
With a field of 132 players and a cut of low 65 and ties:
- We should expect a slightly higher than normal 6/6 and 5/6 percentage for lineups in cash. This course will yield a lot of birdies, but an aggressive lineup construction is still preferred. I will be going towards a heavy stars and scrubs lineup this week for cash. If 5/6 players make the cut, this should cash, and honestly, 4/6 might even be good enough if the stars perform up to expectation.
- LOCKS: Jon Rahm, Webb Simpson, Daniel Berger (I’m making it real simple this week as I’m giving you all three stars I’m using in cash)
- UPDATE WEDNESDAY: ADDED HARDY TO PLAYER POOL
Let’s jump into the Cash Game Player Pool for this week:
- Jon Rahm $11,200
- 16th or better in all 5 starts here
- 7th or better in 7 of last 9 events
- 2nd off the tee, 2nd birdies and 2nd Par 5 scoring
- Webb Simpson $10,100
- Top 20 in 7 of his last 8 starts at this event including a win in 2020
- Top 20 in 9 of his last 10 events
- Missed only 3 cuts in the last 2 years
- 3rd ranked putter in the field
- Daniel Berger $9,600
- #1 overall ranked player in the field in my model as he ranks 6th in putting, 6th in birdies, 13th off the tee, 13th Par 5 scoring and 14th on approach
- 11th or better in 4 of his 6 starts here
- Top 40 in 19 of his last 20 events
- Bo Hoag $6,700
- Top 20 each of the last 2 weeks
- Kyle Stanley $6,700
- Winner here in 2012
- 2nd from 150-175 yards and 8th from 175-200 yards
- 18th and 32nd in the last 2 weeks
- Samuel Ryder $6,500
- 10th and 47th the last 2 weeks
- Gained over 1.5 strokes per round on approach in the last 2 events
- Made the cut in both appearances at this event
- Austin Cook $6,500
- Made the cut in 14 of the last 17 events
- Top 50 off the tee, putting and short irons
- JB Holmes $6,400
- Winner here in 2006 and 2008
- Made 9 of last 11 cuts at this event including 26th or better in 4 of last 5 years
- Missed the cut last week in his only start in 2021. Only played 4 events after the restart in 2020, so don’t have a lot of current form to go on, but is a high upside play.
- Will Gordon $6,300
- Was in contention through 36 holes last week but ended up in 42nd place.
- 8th in birdies and 17th off the tee and top 50 in putting and Par 5 scoring
- Young player with a lot of upside but also a lot of inconsistency
- Robbie Shelton $6,300
- Been struggling for almost a year but mentioned how he has found something in his game the last week en route to a 16th place finish (also finished 25th at the Sony)
- Brian Gay $6,100
- Made the cut in 9 of his last 11 appearances at this event
- Game is predicated on an elite putter
- Struggled for most of the last year but did win in the fall in Bermuda
- Nick Hardy $6,200
- Hardy Monday qualified into this event (well the playoff to get in was actually Tuesday morning). DK added him to the Player Pool now and he is a solid value and definitely an option for cash.
- Finished 14th at Sony
- Game is predicated on consistency as he doesn’t really make many mistakes. He played last year on the Korn Ferry Tour and made 18 of his last 19 cuts on that Tour. He is hungry to make it full time on the PGA Tour as he grinded out the qualifier this week by chipping in on 17 for birdie and then making a birdie putt on 18 to get into the playoff. Then followed that up with absolute stones by draining a 15 footer to advance from the playoff.
- He grew up not to far from me so have been able to watch his game mature over the years and he is ready to be on the PGA Tour full time…he just needs that chance.
Did you miss my WM Phoenix Open Course Preview? Now you didn’t… Dominate PGA DFS!