Learn about the Northern Trust and what types of golfers are likely to succeed on it for PGA DFS.
Before jumping into the details of this week’s PGA Tour Event, I wanted to mention a timeline for all PGA DFS items that you can expect each and every week from Frank and myself:
- Monday: Course/Event Preview
- Tuesday: Cash article, GPP article, Cheat Sheet, PGA DFS Stream
- Wednesday: Chat room (8pm EST) to answer questions
Without further ado, let’s jump into this week’s event.
Event: Northern Trust
Dates: Thursday August 19th through Sunday May 22nd
Course: Liberty National
Field: 125 players
Cut: 65 and ties
Past Winners: Reed (2019), Scott (2013), Slocum (2009)
- Thursday/Friday: 2-6pm (Golf Channel)
- Saturday: 1-3pm (Golf Channel), 3-6pm (CBS)
- Sunday: 12-2pm (Golf Channel), 2-6pm (CBS)
- Liberty National is not of the pro’s favorite courses on Tour. Each time the Tour has played here, there has been criticism from pros as to why they keep coming back here. Well it’s pretty simple, it captures the New York area and has great views. Those are about the only reasons.
- The course is a par 71 that stretches out to 7,400 yards
- 4 par 3s: 190, 156, 221, 140
- 11 par 4s:
- <400 yards: 3
- 401-450 yards: 3
- >450 yards: 5
- 3 par 5s: 536, 599, 542
- Average birdie or better rate of 53% on these holes which is very high.
- Off the Tee:
- Off the Tee accounts for only 17% of strokes gained among top finishers which is below Tour average. This shouldn’t come as a surprise considering we have had some shorter hitters contend at this course. (2009: Slocum, Goydos, Verplank; 2013: Furyk, Points; 2019: Snedeker, Poulter, Reed, Ancer)
- Approach Shots:
- This will be the most important stat of the week as it accounts for 36% of strokes gained which is above Tour average.
- You will see approach shots from every type of distance this week but a larger than normal emphasis on approach shots outside 200 yards. A normal week on Tour has 21% of shots from outside 200 yards. Liberty National has historically produced 31% of shots from 200+ yards.
- Putting accounts for 29% of strokes gained historically among top finishers which is higher than a normal week on Tour. This shouldn’t come as a surprise since the quick bentgrass greens will provide players the ability to make a lot of putts inside 15 feet.
- Around the Green:
- Around the Green accounts for 18% of strokes gained among top finishers which is right about Tour average. We will see slightly more greens missed than a normal week (38% compared to 35%) but an easier chance to get up and down for par (57% to 61%).
What type of player typically succeeds here?
- I see one clear path to victory at this course:
- Elite iron game especially with shots outside 200 yards who putts well for the week
What areas of a player’s game will be tested the most this week?
- Largest emphasis:
- Strokes Gained Approach (higher emphasis on 200+ yards)
- Strokes Gained Putting
- Smaller emphasis:
- Strokes Gained Off the Tee
- Strokes Gained Around the Green
- Par 5 scoring
Check back in on Tuesday for the Cash article, GPP article, Cheat Sheet and DFS Stream.