Excited to bring back my MLB GPP cheat sheet over to the team at Elite Fantasy, where we will look to build upon all of our 2020 success. Today, I’ll be covering the four-game main slate, beginning at 7:05 pm.
If you’re not familiar with this piece, it will be broken down into four sections:
- A cheat sheet with my favorite players at each position and in each tier (based on FD positions/pricing).
- My top pitchers to target on today’s slate.
- My favorite stacks to target and which players I really want to include in them.
- The “Today’s Edge” section, which covers my favorite play (or fade) on the slate, HR predictions, and the players I expect to be top performers.
I’m here to give you the players to consider for your 5/20/21 MLB GPP tournaments. This isn’t a list of every player I’ll have, but these are the guys I’ll have the most exposure to in my stacks and “core.” Players may be in here because of their matchup, ownership, or even as leverage plays off the chalk pitchers. They will all be included in this core list.
- Sandy Alcantara: The best pitcher on the slate tonight IMO is Alcantara. He has been elite vs. RHH to date, which leaves Harper as the only real threat without Didi in the Phil’s lineup. We have seen this team strike out near league-high rates to start the season.
- Drew Smyly: Cheap option tonight is Smyly in a matchup with the powerless Pirates. While they don’t strike out at a high clip, they don’t have many (if any) intimidating bats. We’ve seen Smyly go 98 pitches in B2B starts while increasing his swinging strikes game over game.
- Marlins: Facing off with Velasquez, who should be fairly popular despite his issues with walks and giving up the long ball. Marlins have enough balance of power and contact throughout their lineup to punish Vince when he eventually falls apart.
- Dodgers: Are we finally going to see Merrill Kelly? I believe so. As mentioned earlier in the week, he is a strike-thrower who allows 50% hard contact to both sides of the plate while allowing tons of fly balls. Elite spot for power and long balls. Muncy and Betts lead the way.
- Dbacks: Decent offense, who should get Ketel Marte back, facing off with an unknown rookie who appears to be average at best. Their prices should deter most, leaving them as a nice relatively low-owned spot. 1-6 is my focus.
- Braves: Wil Crowe is in for a world of hurt tonight – below-average K rate with high walks at all levels. His walk rate to lefties, in particular, is so high, Freeman and Albies may not see a hittable ball while Crowe is in there. They are fine stack pieces, but I prefer the RHH for upside.
Home Run Predictions
- Jesus Aguilar
- Mookie Betts
My Highest-Owned Guys
- Highest Scoring Hitter: Mookie Betts
- Highest Scoring Pitcher: Sandy Alcantara
- Top Value Play: Corey Dickerson
- Player to Fade: Vlad Guerrero
- Slate Edge: Garrett Cooper
Hit me up on Twitter @BHealy19 or visit the MLB Chat Room with any lineup questions!