Excited to bring back my MLB GPP cheat sheet over to the team at Elite Fantasy, where we will look to build upon all of our 2020 success. Today, I’ll be covering the 14-game main slate, beginning at 7:05 pm.
If you’re not familiar with this piece, it will be broken down into four sections:
- A cheat sheet with my favorite players at each position and in each tier (based on FD positions/pricing).
- My top pitchers to target on today’s slate.
- My favorite stacks to target and which players I really want to include in them.
- The “Today’s Edge” section, which covers my favorite play (or fade) on the slate, HR predictions, and the players I expect to be top performers.
I’m here to give you the players to consider for your 5/18/21 MLB GPP tournaments. This isn’t a list of every player I’ll have, but these are the guys I’ll have the most exposure to in my stacks and “core.” Players may be in here because of their matchup, ownership, or even as leverage plays off the chalk pitchers. They will all be included in this core list.
- Woodruff: 1a spend for me tonight, coming off B2B double-digit strikeouts. Woodruff has quietly put together 7 consecutive quality starts.
- Wheeler: 1b for me tonight at a slight discount. While he doesn’t possess the 30%+ K rate, he gets a prime matchup with the fish. He has shown a history of being able to pitch deep into games while slowly racking up the K’s.
- Heaney: For the talent and strikeout ability he has, he is simply underpriced, despite his inconsistencies. Sub 8k salary while carrying a 33% K rate is a spot I will be invested in tonight. He typically is beat with the long ball, but the Indians team has 2 power bats (JoseRam and Franmil) that he will have to navigate.
- Kris Bubic: Several arms available in the value tier tonight, but Bubic tops the list for me in a plus matchup with the Brewers. Looked great in B2B long relief appearances, throwing 5 scoreless in each.
- Astros: Yes, back to the Astros again! Manaea’s 3-pitch arsenal is going to struggle against this Astros team that profiles extremely well vs. his pitch mix, particularly his ‘best pitch,’ the slider. Bregman is my priority.
- Red Sox: High power offense in an elite hitting environment but tough matchup at low ownership. High-risk, high-reward spot that I’m going to invest in tonight. Ryu isn’t typically a guy I go out of my way to target, but on a 14-game slate, I’m investing in the likes of JD Mart and Xander against a lefty who pitches to contact.
- Braves: Facing off with Yamamoto, who through his brief MLB experience and recent Triple-A outings fits the profile of an SP we should be stacking against with below-average control, allowing hard contact and fly balls to both sides of the plate. Freeman on red alert!
- Dodgers: Despite a few injuries, we still have several talented bats mixed with some young value. They see Merrill Kelly tonight, who is allowing over a 50% hard contact rate to both sides of the plate.
- Rangers: Taillon has been good, but we will see his K rate regress as the season progresses IMO. We saw a similar Rays team jump on him last outing, and this Rangers team profiles very similarly for me. Gallo & Garcia are my favorites.
- Others to consider: Mets (power), Pirates, Rays
Home Run Predictions
- Freddie Freeman
- Joey Gallo
My Highest-Owned Guys
- Highest Scoring Hitter: Alex Bregman
- Highest Scoring Pitcher: Andrew Heaney
- Top Value Play: Matt Beaty
- Player to Fade: Juan Soto
- Slate Edge: Alex Bregman!
Hit me up on Twitter @BHealy19 or visit the MLB Chat Room with any lineup questions!