What’s up, #EliteMafia!? Welcome to “The Early Bird,” where we’ll cover the pitchers, stacks, and one-off players you’ll need to dominate today’s early MLB DFS slates on DraftKings and FanDuel!
Today, this article will focus exclusively on the DraftKings/FanDuel “Early Slate” starting at 1:05 PM EST. Just a tiny three-game slate on FanDuel starting then, and they made a second early slate starting at 4:05 PM EST. DraftKings decided to combine all seven games. Almost every game has high winds, which should make for plenty of homers in some places.
MLB DFS Pitchers
Jesus Luzardo, LHP, Athletics ($8,500 DK / $8,700 FD)
In five starts, Luzardo has pitched at least five innings and topped 6 K in each outing except one. He just recorded a QS against this same Orioles team on the road. Today, with a better pitching environment, Luzardo is a great SP2 or your main pitcher on the FanDuel start.
Luis Castillo, RHP, Reds ($7,400 DK / $6,700 FD)
The price on Castillo has to be one of his lowest points for some time now. There are signs of hope in this matchup. Hear me out. He has a 30% K rate with a .266 xwOBA and a .104 xISO. Now, LHHs are hitting him better, and Hayward and Happ have had the most success off him. The winds here are blowing across the field at 12 MPH. He’s a GPP SP2.
Lance Lynn, RHP, White Sox ($9,800 DK / $11,500 FD)
Lynn is coming off the IL. Typically, Lynn goes at least 100 pitches in his outings, so I’d expect a full six innings if they feel he’s healthy. In his last two starts, he had double-digit strikeouts. There are 22 MPH winds out to LF.
Jameson Taillon, RHP, Yankees ($7,700 DK / $7,000 FD)
There is some concern with the wind blowing out to RF @12 MPH, but the matchup is great on paper. The Tigers have just one bat, Miggy Cabrera, that has less than a 25% K% in their projected lineup. Taillon has seen more success striking out LHHs, and the Tigers should roll out 4-5 switch hitters.
Spencer Turnbull, RHP, Tigers ($8,800 DK / $8,000 FD)
Jack Flaherty, RHP, Cardinals ($10,000 FD ONLY)
Matt Harvey, RHP, Orioles ($7,000 DK / $6,600 FD)
MLB DFS Stacks
- Yankees: The winds will be blowing out to RF at 10-12 MPH. Team total of 5.7, start the 2-3 player stack with DJ, Judge or Stanton. The Savages in the box are heading up.
- Cubs and Reds: Game stack here with the Great American Dong Park having winds blowing out fast. I mentioned Heyward and Happ in the Castillo write-up. On the Reds side, Votto and Suarez homered last night. Casty and Winker are also in play against Davies.
- Royals: Shoemaker has allowed 2.29 HR/9. Sal Perez has had the most success, but the Royals are cheap in the outfield. Benintendi and Soler are my two favorites besides Perez and Whit. Plus, it’s nearly 80 degrees in the game with winds out to left field.
- Twins: Duffy is back. However, the Twins have had much success against him. Cruz, Donaldson and Buxton have combined to take him deep seven times. Cruz has five of those. Great leverage stack.
- Marlins: Corbin has been horrible, allowing 3.31 HR/9, and the RHHs for the Marlins are very much in play. Rojas has taken Corbin deep twice. Jesus Aguliar was in the two hole last night; if he is there today again, he is a great value at a deep 1B spot.
Value plays listed last.
C: Perez, JT, Contreras, Higashioka
1B: Hoskins, Santana, Votto, Aguliar
2B: DJ, Whit, Polanco, Odor
3B: Bryant, Gio, Donaldson, Miller
SS: Suarez, Rojas, Torres, Baez
OF (HIGH $$$): Cruz, Buxton, Stanton, Judge
OF (MID $$$): Winker, Cooper, Soler, Duvall
OF (LOW $$$): Happ, Hayward, Benintendi, Kiermaier
Best of luck!