Today’s NHL Slate Breakdown goes over Wednesday’s four (4) game main slate, which will lock at 7:00 PM ET/4:00 PM PT.
Please be sure to keep an eye on late news by looking at our NHL Team Beat Writers lists on Twitter by clicking here.
Positional Cash Game Rankings
- Chander Stephenson, Golden Knights (DK: $4700, FD: $4600) // if you play him in cash, you’re not using him to get exposure to VGK1, you’re doing so by stacking him with someone else from VGK1 (only 4 games tonight and he’s a great value on the PP1)
- Connor McDavid, Oilers (DK: $9100, FD: $9100) // if you look at the overall numbers, McDavid has not hit value in over half of his last 10 games, so playing him is still a bit risky for $9100; however, the problem with fading him is that you’re not going to be able to roster other centers tonight who can give you a 30 or 40 bomb on FD (plus he tends to have ownership on these types of slates)
- Mikael Granlund, Predators (DK: $4000, FD: $5500) // would rank him higher if I didn’t rather play his linemate, Jarnkrok.
- Erik Haula, Predators (DK: $3100, FD: $3600) // eligible at W on FD; more of a DK play as C is very thin
*i’m not going to pretend like C is going to be deeper than these four… even four was a stretch
- Alex Tuch, Golden Knights (DK: $4400, FD: $4200) // status of Reilly Smith is a bit unclear, but if he remains out, I think Tuch is a must play (looked great with Smith’s linemates on Monday)
- Max Pacioretty, Golden Knights (DK: $8400, FD: $8200) // leads all of tonight’s forwards in shot attempts (iFenwick) over the last two weeks, and has nine points in his last five games; can play Mark Stone instead if you REALLY need the extra funds (averages over 2 shots attempts less per game)
- Patrick Kane, Blackhawks (DK: $8200, FD: $7900) // shooting the puck more; home matchup should be a big boost
- Calle Jarnkrok, Predators (DK: $3700, FD: $3600) // Hard to resist playing a guy who got 23 mins of ice time including a ton of PP1 time, on a 5v5 line that netted two goals; would be an auto play if this was a NSH home game (matchups likely different)
- Mattias Janmark, Golden Knights (DK: $2800, FD: $3500) // quietly getting PP1 mins, which is HUGE for someone at this price
- Jesse Puljujarvi, Oilers (DK: $4200, FD: $3700) // the thing that makes Puljujarvi a better play than Yamamoto is the fact that he probably shoots the puck 3-4 times more often than KY.
- Kirill Kaprizov, Wild (DK: $6900, FD: $6000) // generally more suited for FD given the price difference
- Viktor Arvidsson, Predators (DK: $5400, FD: $5700) // while it’s easy to piggy back on the 2nd line’s performance on Monday, we can’t overlook Arvidsson, who still shoots the puck more than any of the other Predators forwards.
- Kailer Yamamoto, Oilers (DK: $3400, FD: $3700) // with RNH out of the lineup, he is getting his spot/time on the top PP unit; while he has underperformed, he is still cheap and his recent stats are probably about the worst possible outcome given the situation
- Noah Gregor, Sharks (DK: $2500, FD: $3000) // eligible at C on FD; dirt cheap and got the bump to the top line and top PP unit on Monday, parlaying it to a goal; not a top prospect or anything, but he definitely knows how to score (43 goals in 63 games in his last year of Juniors)
- Shea Theodore, Golden Knights (DK: $6000, FD: $6600) // I think it says a lot about the trust in Theodore when he gets 25 mins of ice time when VGK dressed 7 D against the Sharks on Monday; shooting the puck like crazy and continues to smash his value
- Ryan Ellis, Predators (DK: $4500, FD: $4000) // Extremely underpriced right now even though his workload has pushed back up, and he’s also getting PP time again
- Duncan Keith, Blackhawks (DK: $3900, FD: $4700) // still PP1 and still good value
- Jakob Chychrun, Coyotes (DK: $6400, FD: $5100) // FD only in cash
- Alex Goligoski, Coyotes (DK: $4200, FD: $3700) // an alternative to Chychrun at a lower cost, but still very consistent (just generally doesn’t shoot as much)
Cash Game Core Four
DraftKings: Chandler Stephenson, Connor McDavid, Alex Tuch (if Smith OUT), Shea Theodore [yes, I am stacking]
FanDuel: Chandler Stephenson, Connor McDavid, Alex Tuch (if Smith OUT), Ryan Ellis
Before I go through my favorite stacks of the day, let’s take a close look at the updated Pace of Play chart, which will include the overall pace (Corsi For and Corsi Against Per 60 Minutes) and as an added bonus, the high-danger “Pace of Play” (High Danger Corsi For + High Danger Corsi Against Per 60 Minutes). This will take a close look at the pace of play over the last two weeks. I’ve highlighted the specific game matchups in different colors so it’s easy to spot each matchup.
*Stacks are listed in order from perceived chalk to least chalk
VGK1: Max Pacioretty/Chandler Stephenson/Mark Stone
Possible add-on: Shea Theodore, Mattias Janmark (PP1) or Alec Martinez
EDM1: Josh Archibald/Connor McDavid/Jesse Puljujarvi
Possible add-on: Tyson Barrie or Darnell Nurse
VGK2: Alex Tuch/William Karlsson/Jonathan Marchessault
MIN1: Kirill Kaprizov/Victor Rask/Mats Zuccarello
Possible add-on: Jared Spurgeon
NSH1: Viktor Arvidsson/Ryan Johansen/Rocco Grimaldi
Possible add-on: Roman Josi or Ryan Ellis
MTL4: Artturi Lehkonen/Eric Staal/Corey Perry *MME only*
Robin LehnerMarc-Andre Fleury, Golden Knights (DK: $8400, FD: $8500)
- Juuse Saros, Predators (DK: $7800, FD: $7900)
Martin JonesJosef Korenar, Sharks (DK: $7200, FD: $7200) **GPP ONLY UPSIDE PLAY**