Today’s NHL Cash Game Breakdown goes over Tuesday’s seven (7) game slate that has a roster lock of 7:00 PM ET/4:00 PM PT.
UPDATE (5:20 PM ET): It’ll be Curtis McElhinney in net instead of Andrei Vasilevskiy. I definitely don’t like this spot as much with McBackup in net, but I still think the Lightning have a considerable edge, and they are STILL the biggest favorite. Also, Brad Marchand has been removed from COVID protocol so he’ll be back in, so Trent Frederic is removed. I will bump up Pasta, but I don’t think he goes above Draisaitl. Also, I would say Blackwood is more risky than before, but I also do think his shot volume is more of a lock. The upside and floor is there based on volume alone.
Please be sure to keep an eye on late news by looking at our NHL Team Beat Writers lists on Twitter by clicking here.
Positional Cash Game Rankings
- Mika Zibanejad, Rangers (DK: $7600, FD: $7900)
- Connor McDavid, Oilers (DK: $9200, FD: $9200)
- Kirby Dach, Blackhawks (DK: $2700, FD: $3300)
- Evgeny Kuznetsov, Capitals (DK: $5200, FD: $6500)
- Noel Acciari, Panthers (DK: $4800, FD: $3700)
- Dylan Larkin, Red Wings (DK: $5500, FD: $6200)
- It’s officially time to remove Mika Zibanejad from all of your s*** lists. Earlier in the season, he couldn’t find the score sheet if his life depended on it, and if you watch the games, it was almost like he wasn’t playing at 100% strength because he just wouldn’t win 50/50 pucks (he wins a lot of them when he’s on his A-game) and his shot just didn’t seem all there, but he definitely has some pep in his step now and has probably been the most consistent Center in hockey over the last 2-3 weeks.
- I think there’s an actual dilemma when it comes to Kirby Dach. He is way too cheap, but he’s also a guy who historically doesn’t shoot the puck much and isn’t likely to play with Kane/Debrincat at 5v5. Still there’s a lot of pros. He’s on the top power-play unit, and even though he’s very young, coming off of a major injury, and still learning to play hockey at the NHL level, he has back-to-back games with over 20 minutes of ice time. We probably will need to roster him, but I’m just saying, it’s okay if you don’t.
- Kuznetsov has been outstanding since moving to the same line as Ovechkin. He’s relatively underpriced still, so you can give him some consideration with or without Ovechkin in your lineup.
- Acciari remains in play for me as long as Barkov is out of the lineup. He isn’t the worst FD play regardless of Barkov’s status though, considering he’s only $3700.
- Jason Robertson, Stars (DK: $5100, FD: $4400)
- Alex Ovechkin, Capitals (DK: $8400, FD: $8600)
- Martin Necas, Hurricanes (DK: $4700, FD: $5200)
- Patrick Kane, Blackhawks (DK: $8000, FD: $7900)
- Leon Draisaitl, Oilers (DK: $8600, FD: $8400)
- Owen Tippett, Panthers (DK: $2900, FD: $3200)
- Anthony Mantha, Red Wings (DK: $4000, FD: $4500)
- David Pastrnak, Bruins (DK: $9100, FD: $8200)
- Robby Fabbri, Red Wings (DK: $4200, FD: $5200)
- Viktor Arvidsson, Predators (DK: $5500, FD: $4700) // FD preferred
- Trent Frederic, Bruins (DK: $2800, FD: $3000) // eligible at C on FD
- Miles Wood, Devils (DK: $3300, FD: $3600)
- I feel like we’ve been one of the first to roster Jason Robertson on the regular, and I don’t think we should be stopping tonight. While Nashville’s PK has slightly improved, and goaltending has also improved with Juuse Saros back into the mix, I think it’s still a situation where there’s a considerable edge for Robertson thanks to his “usage”, which is definitely a basketball stat that isn’t a hockey thing, but if it was, you’d be able to see exactly how much of an impact he has on a nightly basis.
- There are a lot and I mean a lot of expensive Wingers that need to be strongly considered. Ovi is the guy who is easily the number one expensive guy thanks to his shot volume and the fact that he’s in the best form. The others, I think there’s a lot to debate. The surprise name here is probably Patrick Kane. Kane is a slight discount compared to the others, but for whatever reason, he has an outstanding history against the Hurricanes, and that includes this season, where he has a combined three goals and five assists over THREE games. Pastrnak is a bit lower on my list just because the Bruins definitely don’t look the same without Brad Marchand in the lineup. If Marchand is cleared from COVID protocol, maybe I bump him up a few spots.
- Martin Necas might be the breakout start of the 2021 NHL season. Apparently all the Hurricanes needed to do was move him to the top line with Aho, top power-play unit, and give him ice time because he has been an absolute stud, topped off by single-handedly defeating the Lightning thanks to a massive four point night.
- Major injuries throughout the Panthers lineup has forced them to finally give Owen Tippett a look. These minutes have led to solid contributions every single night, and hitting fantasy value every night, which doesn’t take much at his price point.
- Dougie Hamilton, Hurricanes (DK: $7000, FD: $6600)
- Miro Heiskanen, Stars (DK: $5400, FD: $4300) // FD preferred
- Ty Smith, Devils (DK: $3300, FD: $3600)
- Filip Hronek, Red Wings (DK: $4500, FD: $4100)
- Matt Grzelcyk, Bruins (DK: $5300, FD: $4300) // better FD play
- Adam Fox, Rangers (DK: $6500, FD: $5800)
- Jan Rutta, Lightning (DK: $2800, FD: Not in Play)
- I am not extremely psyched to play many expensive defensemen nowadays, but it’s hard not to give a long look at Dougie Hamilton on a nightly basis. The man has a 14-game point streak, which is absolutely insane for a defensemen. I’m a believer that when there’s a streak of the nature in play, that players/teammates go out of their way to make sure it continues.
- While it’s FD only at this rank, I think $4300 for Miro Heiskanen is ridiculous.
- Ty Smith isn’t a must play or anything, but he is an exceptional value at the defense position for the impact he has while on the ice.
- It’s funny how the last time Filip Hronek made my cash game breakdown, he went off for the best game of his career. While three points is asking a lot for a guy with just two points in his last six games, I think this matchup against a Panthers team that is ailing from the top to the bottom of their lineup is a favorable one for anyone who might contribute to the Red Wings power-play, and Hronek is still the main D on the top unit.
- Andrei Vasilevskiy, Lightning (DK: $8500, FD: $8700)
- Igor Shesterkin, Rangers (DK: $7700, FD: $7400)
- MacKenzie Blackwood, Devils (DK: $7400, FD: $7200)
DraftKings: Kirby Dach, Jason Robertson, Alex Ovechkin, Martin Necas
FanDuel: Jason Robertson, Alex Ovechkin, Dougie Hamilton, Andrei Vasilevskiy