CHECK OUT THE MLB LIVE-STREAM FOR A DEEPER DIVE INTO THE ANALYSIS OF THE PLAYS…
SOMETIMES MLB GPP PLAYS MAY SLIGHTLY CHANGE AFTER SHARING IDEAS WITH THE GUYS ON THE STREAM SO MAKE SURE U TUNE IN!
PITCHING TIERS I WILL BE ROCKING WITH TODAY
- Bauer…..I don’t really like paying up for pitching, but on this slate, it’s definitely in play. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I am excited about, so I am just gonna recommend paying up for Bauer and taking the safety. The only other decent options are in the upper tier so I am just gonna go all the way up, take the layup here, and eat the chalk.
- NOTHING…..Gibson, Roark, Kelly, etc…..nothing here I want. I have them listed in the order I would rank them, but I haven’t rostered one of these guys all year and don’t plan on starting now. There is a pure punt I think I am ok with below where I am either all in Bauer or dropping all the way down…this mid-tier does NOTHING for me.
- Cortes Jr….FanDuel decided to leave the late Yankee game off, cause they are brain dead, but DK has it. Cortes should relieve Green and has gone 4-5 innings before. Seeing Cortes has only pitched ⅓ of an inning in the last six days, he should be good to throw as many pitches as the Yanks need him. This play will depend a tiny bit on how the first game goes. If the Yankees need to get deep into the pen in game 1, then I like Cortes a lot; if they don’t, then I wouldn’t be as high on him, but I think he is a fairly safe GPP salary saver regardless. The Rays K a TON vs. lefties so there should be some good strikeout upside here, and he could run into a win being that he should pitch those qualification innings.
FAVORITE CHALK STACK (20%+)
- Astros….Harvey has an 8.91 ERA at home this year in seven games and faces a team of guys that in small sample sizes have destroyed him. This is a death trap for Harvey today.
Others: Wash, Minn
- Oakland….The data on this stack is fine for today, but sometimes u gotta trust ur gut! Minnesota is probably the better statistical stack in this game, but I think Gibson will have some ownership and I would not be surprised if Oakland goes completely overlooked in what I think is a sneaky smash spot.
Others: AZ, Milw
- Braves……We know all about Strasburg in the heat and humidity. I wish this game was in the mid-90s instead of 88-90 degrees, but I love this Atlanta lineup and this is worth a stab at a very, very low ownership.
Double Dong: Springer
5% owned Sleeper: Yelich
1% owned Sleeper: Freeman
Stolen Base Target: Giants team
Fade of the Day: Mid-tier SP
TUNE INTO THE LIVESTREAM OR READ THE LIVESTREAM RECAP ARTICLE FOR ALL MY POSITIONAL BREAKDOWNS.
- Astros – Matt Harvey returned from a lengthy absence last week, and the surface results looked pretty good. Harvey went 5.2 innings, giving up just 1 run. Beyond that though? Yikes. Harvey had a 3/3 K/BB against the terrible Mariners and missed very few bats. Most alarmingly (and good for the Astros tonight), Harvey’s fastball velocity (which is just about all he has left as a pitcher) was at a season-low 92.2 mph on average. Will it be that low tonight? Hard to say, but presumably they gave Harvey as much time as he needed and intuitively I would have expected his FB velo to spike in his return start. Not the case. Worst case scenario for our Astros stacks is Harvey finds his old velo from early this season, where he was still awful. Best case? Harvey is still hurting and just gets DESTROYED this start. I think that’s the most likely scenario.
- Twins – The Twins have been slumping, but it won’t last long. Mike Fiers hasn’t been terrible recently, but you take him out of Oakland into the hot, humid weather in Minneapolis where the ball will be flying for a fly ball pitcher against a team with a ton of power. Prefer the top half of this lineup, but there really is no bad play in the entire lineup tonight.
- Nationals – The Braves and Nationals will do battle in a critical division battle in the Atlanta heat tonight. The Nationals will have the pleasure of (hopefully) teeing off against minor league call up Kyle Wright, who I have ranked as one of the very worst SPs in MLB after his three big league starts earlier this year that got him sent to AAA ball. He didn’t perform well there, either, and I expect we’ll see the Nationals knock him around early, getting into the Braves bullpen. With Strasburg on the hill, we could see a lopsided game here with the Nationals piling on against the worst of the Braves’ pitchers (and possibly position players) late in the game. Huge potential.
For DC’s Top Arms tonight, see his MLB Pitching Coach!