Everything you’ll need to stay above the payline in today’s DFS MLB Cash Games!
We have 6 games on the main slate for Saturday. Be sure to check out Scott Bondar’s “Early Bird” article for the afternoon games if playing that slate. Ben Hancock will be on the livestream, and I will be in the chat room before the nighttime slate locks.
Here is the entire content plan for today:
Early Bird – A complete writeup of all the early slate MLB games.
Cash Game Breakdown – The article you are currently reading.
DFS MLB Lineup Coach – Daily coaching session assisting with all aspects of DFS MLB.
DFS MLB Cheat Sheet – A quick guide to the top plays at each position and salary level.
GPP Writeup – Using experience, game theory & advanced stats to uncover low-owned stars.
Core 4 Livestream – Daily Livestream that covers all DFS sports, featuring guests from throughout the Elite Sports Network.
Be Sure to Bookmark:
Saturday, May 22nd
This slate is interesting because we do not necessarily have standpoint awful pitchers to pick on. A couple of starters have been out of the league for a few years, so who knows what to expect. I did list more pitchers to target than I normally would because I want you to know the pitchers who have certain weaknesses. I will provide any updates as lineups come out.
Boston Red Sox @ Philadelphia Phillies – Daytime temperatures expected in the 90’s, so the ball will carry even at night.
For more info and updated forecast, please check out our MLB Weather Center.
Today's Pitchers Grid
Today’s Best Pitchers
1) Walker Buehler, RHP, Dodgers (FD 10500 & DK 11000) – He has gone 6 innings in every start this season and allowed 2 runs or less in 6 of his 8 starts. I do question whether he has the upside to pay off the salary. Buehler is going to be safe, but is he worth the price? The Giants have the highest K% rate vs. RHP in the league but have decent numbers vs. RHP. I can see the fade of Buehler if you want to fit more bats, but he is a solid play.
2) Robbie Ray, LHP, Blue Jays (FD 9100 & DK 9500) – He has gotten better in May after a so-so April. The Rays have been hot lately, but facing bad pitching has helped. Tampa has the 2nd highest K% rate and is 21st in ISO and 24th in wOBA vs. LHP. The price tag has risen, and he could give up a few runs but should be able to rack up enough strikeouts to pay off his salary.
3) Adbert Alzolay, RHP, Cubs (FD 6800 & DK 8000) – This is a FanDuel punt option. The Cardinals are not a dangerous lineup vs. a pitcher like Alzolay with their lack of quality LHH batters. Alzolay is not going to put up a shutdown performance but has not allowed more than 3 runs since his first start this season. He is a young pitcher, so he is being babied a bit with his pitch count, which limits his ability to go deep into games.
4) Chris Bassitt, RHP, A’s (FD 8800 & DK 7800) – The Angels lineup lacks much firepower outside of Ohtani and Walsh. Bassitt has averaged 21.6 DK points in his last 5 starts, where his price is most attractive. The Angels offense is bottom 10 in the league over the last week with the loss of Trout.
Pitchers to Target Against
1) Justus Sheffield, LHP, Mariners – .450 xFIP, 17.7% K rate, 7.7% swinging strike rate, .393 wOBA vs. LHH
2) Spencer Howard, RHP, Phillies – .429 wOBA vs. LHH in his career.
3) Scott Kazmir, LHP, Giants – Has not pitched in Majors since 2016. Allowed 17 HRs in 97 innings vs. RHH
4) Patrick Sandoval, LHP, Angels – .469 wOBA vs. RHH
5) Robbie Ray, LHP, Blue Jays – 2.45 HR/9
6) Adbert Alzolay, RHP, Cubs – 1.95 HR/9, .354 wOBA vs. LHH
We have a brand new stolen base target tool on the site. I strongly recommend looking it over in order to find a value play or to properly assess how likely a player is to steal tonight. (click on link above)
Hot Streaks (Hottest Hitters at Each Position)
|6||Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||TOR||65||278||22||50||56||2||14.7||15.80||0.345||0.347||0.345||0.450||0.690||0.473||204|
|18||Ronald Acuna Jr.||ATL||60||264||18||53||41||13||13.6||22.70||0.312||0.308||0.285||0.390||0.597||0.415||164|
|22||Fernando Tatis Jr.||SDP||51||214||20||45||46||13||10.7||28.00||0.374||0.279||0.273||0.346||0.647||0.405||162|
Batter vs. Pitcher
2B – David Fletcher – Angels
OF – Tony Kemp – A’s, Bryce Harper – Phillies
For more, check out our BvP Matchup Page!
Overall Hitter Rankings
- Mike Zunino – Rays (DK 3700)
- Will Smith – Dodgers (DK 4400)
- Austin Nola – Padres (DK 4300)
- Francisco Mejia – Rays (DK 2800)
Notes: Zunino should make the lineup tonight after a night off. He has been the best H per PA against a HR-prone pitcher. Smith is actually better vs. RHP but hits in the middle of the order, and I doubt that Kazmir goes deep into the game. Nola has been great vs. LHP over the last 3 years. Mejia hit the game-winning grand slam last night so may find his way into the lineup. I will be on the lookout for another punt option as lineups come out.
- Vlad Guerrero – Blue Jays (FD 4100 & DK 5700)
- Jared Walsh – Angels (FD 3400 & DK 4700)
Matt Olson – A’s (FD 3400 & DK 4800)
- Eric Hosmer – Padres (FD 2800 & DK 4200)
- Danny Santana – Red Sox (DK 2400)
Notes: Guerrero has an insane .562 wOBA and .419 ISO in the Florida ballpark. Walsh has a .450 wOBA vs. RHP this season. Olson and the A’s face Bundy, who has been terrible in his last two starts. Hosmer has been good against LHP, and Sheffield has struggled vs. LHH. Santana could be a DK punt option if he is leading off again.
- Marcus Semien – Blue Jays (FD 3600 & DK 5600)
- Jed Lowrie – A’s (FD 2100 & DK 4200)
- Max Muncy – Dodgers (FD 3900 & DK 4900)
- Chad Pinder – A’s (FD 2000)
- Mike Brosseau – Rays (FD 2000 & DK 3000)
Notes: Semien is 10 for his last 23 with 3 HRs and 3 BBs. Lowrie is a FD value, who is 4 for his last 13 with 3 BBs and 2 HRs. Muncy has a .486 wOBA in May. Pinder is another FD value who had a big night yesterday. Brosseau is a DK value option who hits LHP far better than RHP. Ray will give up the long ball.
- Manny Machado – Padres (FD 3200 & DK 5300)
- Rafael Devers – Red Sox (FD 3800 & DK 5400)
- Justin Turner – Dodgers (FD 3100 & DK 4500)
- Bobby Dalbec – Red Sox (FD 2400)
- Mike Brosseau – Rays (DK 3000)
- Matt Chapman – A’s (FD 2700 & DK 4600)
Notes: Machado has not been as good vs. LHP this year but has consistently crushed the last few years. Devers has a .417 wOBA vs. RHP. Turner has a .370 wOBA on the season, who is a mid-priced option on both sites. Dalbec is only available at 3B on FD. He is 8 for 23 with 3 HRs in his last 8 games. Brosseau is 3B eligible on DK only. Chapman has been great vs. LHP but terrible vs. RHP. Lower on the list because might only get 2 AB’s vs. the LHP
- Fernando Tatis – Padres (FD 4500 & DK 5900)
- Bo Bichette – Blue Jays (FD 4000 & DK 5800)
- Xander Bogaerts – Red Sox (FD 3800 & DK 5700)
- Chad Pinder – A’s (DK 2400)
- David Fletcher – Angels (FD 2200)
Notes: Tatis is 8 for his last 13 with 2 HRs and 3 SBs in his last 3 games. Bichette has a .464 wOBA at home. Bogaerts has a .428 wOBA vs. RHP. Pinder is SS eligible on DK only. Fletcher is a not great match-up with his lack of power, but the FD price is ridiculously cheap if he is hitting lead-off. It is not likely but just in case.
- Chris Taylor – Dodgers (FD 3500 & DK 4100)
- Randy Arozarena – Rays (FD 4000 & DK 5500)
- Mark Canha – A’s (FD 3100 & DK 4400)
- Shohei Ohtani – Angels (FD 4200 & DK 5600)
- Bryce Harper – Phillies (FD 3800 & DK 5400)
- Randal Grichuk – Blue Jays (FD 2900 & DK 4500)
- Teoscar Hernandez – Blue Jays (FD 3200 & DK 4800)
- JD Martinez – Red Sox (FD 4300 & DK 5800)
- Ramon Laureano – A’s (FD 3400 & DK 5200)
- Chad Pinder – A’s (FD 2000 & DK 2400)
- DJ Peters – Dodgers (FD 2000 & DK 2000)
- Dylan Carlson – Cardinals (FD 2400 & DK 2800)
- Joc Pederson – Cubs (FD 2500 & DK 4000)
Notes: Taylor has been great vs. LHP. He has a .444 wOBA at home and a .436 wOBA in May. Arozarena has been on base 10 times with 3 HRs in his last 3 games. Canha has 4 HRs in his last 7 games. Ohtani has a .351 ISO vs. RHP. The Blue Jays OF gives you solid mid-priced options. Laureano was on base 5 times last night. The bottom of the rankings gives you value options on both sites.
DFS MLB Core 4
FANDUEL CORE 4
P – Walker Buehler (10500)
1B – Vlad Guerrero (4100)
2B – Chad Pinder (2000)
OF – Chris Taylor (3500)
DRAFTKINGS CORE 4
SP1 – Walker Buehler (11000)
1B – Vlad Guerrero (5700)
SS – Chad Pinder (2400)
OF – Chris Taylor (4100)